Dhammapada translated by Eknath Easwaran
As irrigators guide water to their fields, as archers aim arrows, as carpenters carve wood, the wise shape their lives.
Dhammapada means the path of dharma, the path of truth, harmony, and righteousness. Capturing the living words of the Buddha, this much-loved scripture consists of verses organized by theme: thought, joy, anger, pleasure, and others.
The Dhammapada is permeated with the power and practicality of one of the world's most appealing spiritual teachers. Rejecting superstition on the one hand and philosophical speculation on the other, the Buddha taught the path to the end of suffering and showed how we can achieve lasting joy. He spells out our choices with a refreshing realism and frankness. And he insists that we be spiritually self-eliant: All the effort must be made by you. Buddhas only point the way.
Easwaran believed that we need nothing more than the Dhammapada to follow the way of the Buddha. His main qualification for interpreting the Dhammapada, he said, was that he knew from his own experience that these verses can transform our lives.
- Easwaran's introduction gives a complete overview of the Buddha's core teachings, illustrating them with contemporary references. A master storyteller, Easwaran brings vividly to life Prince Siddhartha's spiritual quest and his transformation into the great teacher known as the Buddha. Perfect for first-time readers, with intriguing new insights for those familiar with this text.
- This translation is reliable, accessible, and elegant. The Dhammapada was originally written in Pali, a language derived from Sanskrit, which Easwaran studied from an early age. Easwaran's rendering has an expressive brilliance acquired through many years of immersion in English literature.
- Chapter introductions explain key terms and place individual verses into the context of the broader Buddhist canon for readers of all levels. A glossary and chapter notes are also included.
- This latest edition contains a new foreword, elegant new cover, and easy-to-read, two-color interior.
Easwaran's translation is accessible, reliable, and poetic. The introductions includes an explanation of the cultural background, the key concepts underlying each text, and above all, Easwaran's insights into how we can apply the spiritual message to our own lives, right now. purpose of these contrasts is, very simply, to describe the difference between what leads to desirable outcomes and what does not.
Paperback 280 pages
Every purchase helps supply and distribute Vitamin A to Indian children in desperate need. Learn more!
Our Return Policy
We know that you will love what you ordered but if something doesn't work out, we will gladly accept unworn, unwashed or defective merchandise for return or exchange within 60 days from the original shipping date.
- Unless the item is defective, you will be responsible for shipping costs to send the item back to us.
- Items purchased outside of the United States are not eligible for returns due to customs issues.
- Your refund will be credited back to the original method of payment used to make the original purchase.
- Original shipping costs are non-refundable.
- We usually process returns quickly, but just in case, please allow up to 14 business days from when we receive the items for your account to be refunded. We will send you an email once we have completed the refund process.
How to make an easy exchange or return
Please visit our Exchanges & Returns Portal
Unless the item is defective or damaged, you will be responsible for the shipping costs to send the item back to us.