This is the book which sparked the spiritual revolution in Gandhi, and helped make him the unbelievable man he was. Gandhi raved about this book in his autobiography. First published in Germany in 1894 after being banned in Russia, this book reveals Tolstoy's world outlook after his conversion to Christianity. He argues that the Kingdom of God is within the reach of all. The core of the book deals with his non-resistance to evil, a principle Tolstoy personally advocated. Mahatma Gandhi was won over by the book and became a life long friend of Tolstoy with whom he communicated often in trying to develop his philosophy of nonviolence. Abhorring the violence of revolution, Tolstoy tells us to remember that the only guide for our actions is to be found in the divine principle dwelling within us, which in no sense can be checked or governed by anyone or anything else. This book is a great source of light in the present age and will keep the reader spellbound.
Paperback 178 pages, translated by Constance Garnett
Every purchase helps supply and distribute Vitamin A to Indian children in desperate need. Learn more!
Our Return Policy
We know that you will love what you ordered but if something doesn't work out, we will gladly accept unworn, unwashed or defective merchandise for return or exchange within 60 days from the original shipping date.
- Unless the item is defective, you will be responsible for shipping costs to send the item back to us.
- Items purchased outside of the United States are not eligible for returns due to customs issues.
- Your refund will be credited back to the original method of payment used to make the original purchase.
- Original shipping costs are non-refundable.
- We usually process returns quickly, but just in case, please allow up to 14 business days from when we receive the items for your account to be refunded. We will send you an email once we have completed the refund process.
How to make an easy exchange or return
Please visit our Exchanges & Returns Portal
Unless the item is defective or damaged, you will be responsible for the shipping costs to send the item back to us.